Board of Directors Program: Succeeding and Creating Value as a Board Member
Now, more than ever, boards of directors capable of visualizing the environment, leading change and empowering business management are required. This program is designed to provide analysis strategies to the members of its Board of Directors, in order to increase their effectiveness in decision-making and contribute to the formulation of strategies.
To be successful, companies must not only have excellent management teams, but also boards of directors with vision and knowledge about the reality of the new business environment, which can contribute to the formulation of a strategy consistent with the new challenges of a more competitive world.
To meet these challenges, we designed this program aimed at members of Boards of Directors, Boards of Directors and Executive Committees of companies and organizations, regardless of the size of their turnover.
Its content arises from the knowledge developed by the INCAE Faculty combined with experts with extensive experience accumulated over the years as members of boards of directors of companies and institutions in the region.
Board of Directors Program: Succeeding and creating value as a board member
The Board Of Directors: Direction of the corporate strategy of maximizing shareholder value
- Global Context and Alignment of the Board with external challenges.
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). Risk management.
- Why it is important to have a risk management model. Examples and applications in the real context.
Introduction to "Corporate Governance"
- The Good Governance Code
- Shareholders' Meeting, Board of Directors / Administration Council
- Committees of the Board of Directors.
Corporate Governance and the four dimensions
- The role of the Board of Directors and the dimension of strategy to govern efficiently.
- The role of the Board of Directors in the formulation process and the dimension of strategy execution.
- The role of the Board of Directors and the fiduciary and organizational dimensions.
- Value creation.
Innovation in Products and Services focused on the client
- Business innovation models.
- Application of the Design Thinking methodology in the service and product design strategy at the level of Boards of Directors and Executive Teams.
- Customer Centered Innovation.
- Evaluation, monitoring and control: the missing link in the implementation of the strategy.
- Evaluation, monitoring and control of the financial health of the company: growth, liquidity, solvency, enforceability and profitability.
- "Drivers" of profitability.
- Leverage: profitability versus solvency.
- Financial structure: short and long term financing.
- Growth management: dividend policy and sustainable growth.
Recruitment, evaluation and renewal of the Board of Directors
- Profiles, capacities by areas of knowledge, types of directors and alignment of interests.
- Succession plans and challenges of independent directors on boards of directors.
- Promoting Strategic Innovation from the Board of Directors.
- Board Composition and Impact on Strategic Results and Long-Term Sustainability. Case study. Strategic Decision Making on the Board. Role-play.
Technology Management in Boards of Directors
- Risks, opportunities, priorities
- Role of board members in strategies related to technology management in organizations
Leadership and evaluation of the Board of Directors
- What are the factors that make a Board effective? Roles of the President of the Board and of the directors?
- Live Case. Central American Regional Group management model.
* Includes tuition, teaching materials and certificate of participation.
Aimed at members of Boards of Directors, Boards of Directors and Executive Committees of companies and organizations, regardless of the size of their turnover.
Camelia IlieAcademic Director of the program
Dean of Strategy and Institutional Affairs, Chair from the Center for Inclusive and Sustainable Leadership, and Professor at INCAE, a leading business school in Latin America. Over the past decade she has transformed the Executive Education business to position it in the Top 25 of the Financial Times global rankings. In addition to transforming the core business, she also created a new online business, a start-up in alliance with Emeritus, a world leader in educational technology. Up to more than 6,500 participants from more than 15 countries studied annually in the areas under his leadership. Camelia Ilie is an entrepreneurial leader, advisor and board member with more than 25 years of experience in value creation, strategy, innovation and profit and loss management in organizations in Europe, Latin America and the US.
President and founder of Roberto Artavia Consultoría Internacional; President of Viva Trust, the largest productive-philanthropic trust serving Latin America and of Fundación Viva Idea, an organization for knowledge management on issues of strategy, leadership, social responsibility and sustainable development.
He is president of the Board of Directors of INCAE Business School; he chairs the Board of Directors of Fundación Marviva; the Board of Directors of Mapfre in Costa Rica and the Board of Directors of Fundación Victoria in Nicaragua.
Alberto Trejos placeholder imageTeacher
Full Professor at INCAE Business School. He earned his PhD in Economics from the University of Pennsylvania. As an academic, he has been a member of the Faculty of Northwestern University and INCAE, where he also served as Dean and as director of INCAE's Latin American Center for Competitiveness and Sustainable Development (CLACDS).
Stephen R. BrenesTeacher
He is a Full Professor at INCAE Business School, specializing in the areas of Strategy and Entrepreneurship, and was Dean of INCAE Business School from 2001 to 2007. He is currently the Academic Director of the Executive MBA (EMBA) and the Senior Management Program.
Luis Noel Alfaro GramajoTeacher
He is a Full Professor at INCAE Business School. He is an academic, consultant and businessman of Guatemalan nationality. He has been academic director and professor in different executive training programs aimed at the private, public and non-governmental sectors.
Carla Fernandez CorralesTeacher
She is an Assistant Professor and Academic Director of the MBA and Global MBA programs at INCAE Business School. She also serves as the Director of Learning Innovation at INCAE Executive Education. She earned her Ph.D. in Business Administration with a concentration in Information Systems from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In addition, she completed undergraduate studies in Industrial Engineering and obtained with honors an Academic Master's Degree in Computing and Informatics, both from the University of Costa Rica. She was distinguished with the Fulbright scholarship from the Department of State of the United States of America.
He is a full-time professor (Full Professor) of Innovation and Change Management at INCAE Business School. He holds a Ph.D. in Economics and Development from the Sorbonne Nouvelle-Paris III University, he completed Post Doctorates at KSG-Harvard University and the Sloan School of Management-MIT and is a Visiting Scholar at DRCLA-Harvard University and Sloan School of Management-MIT.
• Prepare to be excellent directors, understanding the functioning of a Board and its priorities
strategies to generate impact and add value.
• Provide analysis tools to the members of the boards of directors, in order to increase their effectiveness in
the decision making
• Contribute to the formulation of a strategy consistent with the current and future challenges of the
markets where the organization competes.
• Understand the role to be played in the organization as a member of a board of directors.
• Obtain analysis instruments to increase the effectiveness of the directors in their tasks.
• Support the process of defining and reviewing the business strategy.