Board of Directors Program: Succeeding and Creating Value as a Board Member
Now, more than ever, boards of directors capable of visualizing the environment, leading change and empowering business management are required. This program is designed to provide analysis strategies to the members of its Board of Directors, in order to increase their effectiveness in decision-making and contribute to the formulation of strategies.
To be successful, companies must not only have excellent management teams, but also boards of directors with vision and knowledge about the reality of the new business environment, which can contribute to the formulation of a strategy consistent with the new challenges of a more competitive world.
To meet these challenges, we designed this program aimed at members of Boards of Directors, Boards of Directors and Executive Committees of companies and organizations, regardless of the size of their turnover.
Its content arises from the knowledge developed by the INCAE Faculty combined with experts with extensive experience accumulated over the years as members of boards of directors of companies and institutions in the region.
Board of Directors Program: Succeeding and creating value as a board member
- The framework of Corporate Governance: The Board of Directors, Committees. Objectives and priorities.
- Corporate Governance and strategy.
- Recruitment, evaluation and renewal of the Board of Directors.
- The Corporate Governance and Execution of the Strategy.
- Leadership and evaluation of the Board of Directors.
- The Economic - Financial Perspective in the Board of Directors.
- Growth vs. Crisis Management - The impact of the Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors: Direction in the corporate strategy of maximizing shareholder value.
* Includes tuition, teaching materials and certificate of participation.
Aimed at members of Boards of Directors, Boards of Directors and Executive Committees of companies and organizations, regardless of the size of their turnover.
Camelia IlieAcademic Director of the program
Camelia Ilie is Dean of Executive Education and Strategic Innovation, Full Professor and Chair of the Leadership Center for Inclusive and Sustainable Leadership (CELIS) of INCAE, a leading business school in Latin America. Dr. Ilie leads the digital transformation at the institution through INCAE Online, an initiative designed and launched in partnership with Emeritus, a leading global player in EdTech. Currently, more than 7.000 students are trained each year in the areas under her direction.
She serves as a member of several international boards, such as Chair of the External Advisory Council of the Institute for Advanced Studies of the University of Miami, Member of the Advisory Council for Latin America of the AACSB, Editorial Committee of LID Latin America, and Faculty Affiliate in the Program for the Advancement of Research on Conflict and Collaboration of the Maxwell School of Syracuse University.
President and founder of Roberto Artavia Consultoría Internacional; President of Viva Trust, the largest productive-philanthropic trust serving Latin America and of Fundación Viva Idea, an organization for knowledge management on issues of strategy, leadership, social responsibility and sustainable development.
He is president of the Board of Directors of INCAE Business School; he chairs the Board of Directors of Fundación Marviva; the Board of Directors of Mapfre in Costa Rica and the Board of Directors of Fundación Victoria in Nicaragua.
Alberto Trejos placeholder imageTeacher
Alberto Trejos earned his doctorate in economics from the University of Pennsylvania. As an academic, he has been a member of the faculty of Northwestern University and INCAE, where he also served as Dean and as director of the Latin American Center for Competitiveness and Sustainable Development.
Stephen R. BrenesTeacher
He specializes in the areas of Strategy and Entrepreneurship and was Dean of INCAE Business School from 2001 to 2007. He currently leads the Steve Aronson Chair of Strategy and Agribusiness and is the Academic Director of the Executive MBA (EMBA) and the Senior Management Program.
Luis Noel Alfaro GramajoTeacher
Academic, consultant and businessman of Guatemalan nationality. He has been an academic director and professor in different executive training programs aimed at the private, public and non-governmental sectors.
Carla Fernandez-CorralesTeacherProfessor Carla Fernández Corrales obtained her Ph.D. in Business Administration with a concentration in Information Systems from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In addition, she completed graduate studies in Industrial Engineering and obtained with honors an Academic Master's Degree in Computing and Informatics, both from the University of Costa Rica. She was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship from...
• Prepare to be excellent directors, understanding the functioning of a Board and its priorities
strategies to generate impact and add value.
• Provide analysis tools to the members of the boards of directors, in order to increase their effectiveness in
the decision making
• Contribute to the formulation of a strategy consistent with the current and future challenges of the
markets where the organization competes.
• Understand the role to be played in the organization as a member of a board of directors.
• Obtain analysis instruments to increase the effectiveness of the directors in their tasks.
• Support the process of defining and reviewing the business strategy.