The international MBA in Latin America that changes lives
Publication

César Figueroa, the Incaista who believed in his talent and destroyed all barriers

29 2022 March
Maria Fernanda Vargas Cordova

3 years ago the life of César Figueroa changed, what seemed like an impossible goal, became the decision that transformed his entire career: his international master's.

A path full of obstacles did not dissuade him from changing the path he had planned for his professional development. This 36-year-old Honduran engineer was clear that he wanted to make his MBA at the number one business school in Latin America, INCAE. This program is characterized by being 100% immersive, lasting 15 months and taking place on our campus in Costa Rica. 

César still remembers the big questions he faced as he saw himself further and further from his goal: Will I be able to do it? Will I be able to pay off such a large debt? Is it really worth it?

Only hard work, dedication and effort gave him an answer: "I'm quite happy it is worth coming to INCAE, my life has changed and my socioeconomic condition too”, it states. After applying three times, he was finally chosen as a candidate for the Master in Business Administration. The work experience and the entrance exam were 2 key points that he had to strengthen before getting his admission: “After studying with a tutor for a month, for six hours a week and practicing every weekend, I managed to get elected!”.

Undoubtedly, investment was another great challenge that had to be solved. With a lot of creativity she obtained the necessary funds to finance her master's degree. Although he had no savings, he owned some assets that he could sell to have his first fund. He also received financial advice from the institution's admissions coordinator, who invited him to explore various alternatives, including financial support from INCAE. To obtain the final percentage for his income, he knocked on the door of an international entity, which gave him a loan to reach the next professional level. 

Once inside, César launched a new idea to cover his expenses: selling food on weekends. He chose a typical Honduran dish, baleadas, and had the full support of his teammates. "Thanks to that, I was able to pay the part that corresponded to me to be able to continue studying"Figueroa says.

The journey has not been easy, but smile remembering each step that has led him to be a branch manager of Grupo Lafise, a consolidated financial entity in Costa Rica. “I remember two weeks after my graduation in 2019, I got a job! It was thanks to a job fair that INCAE held, I applied to all the banks that were there and it turned out that I knew Lafise's Human Resources Manager thanks to an event that the institution had organized, a network of contacts was created that helps position you in the future!”He said.

The MBA that César took, aims to develop managerial skills, as well as knowledge in the functional areas of administration with a particular focus on Latin American business, tools that he knew how to take advantage of to become a competitive talent. 

César made a decision that transformed his career, not only doubled the income that he received only with the undergraduate, but also, he achieved a placement in a country other than his own. “On the bench, I'm giving good results and it's all thanks to the tools they gave me. I still remember my bus trip, it rained a lot, my passport got wet, I had nothing. It was chaos! In September 2020, the story is different”He said.

This story could not have had this outcome if Caesar had not first believed in himself.

Subscribe to our blog