Six frequently asked questions when making your CV | INCAE
Publication

Six frequently asked questions when making your CV

April 19 2018
INCAE Masters

When making your resume some doubts may arise. Jorge Lépiz, an expert in Recruitment and Human Resources, clarified some of the most common during the virtual workshop "What does your CV say about you?" These were some of them: 

1. Should I include my photograph?

Wearing it is not recommended, it can range from discriminatory to unprofessional. Include your photograph only if it is customary in your country to do so or if it is specified in this way in the job offer. If required, it is best to take it in a professional photo studio and with formal clothes. For no reason should it be a photo taken from Facebook or Instagram!

2. Should all experiences be listed or only the most recent ones?

The key is to discern which of them are relevant in relation to the position you apply for and in terms of time. If you are 50 years old and have changed jobs 10 times, it would not be necessary to write them all.

On the contrary, if you are very young and have few experiences; it is advisable to put them all, even if they were short periods. It is important that you are aware that you must project a solid image, not that of a "jumper" or someone who constantly changes jobs.

3. I have had one or more positions within the same company, should I mention them?

Yes, this is very important because it gives the recruiter credibility and certainty that you are a person who has managed to climb within the company. Within the "work experience" section, detail the name of the company, followed by the last position we had and the previous positions in descending order.

4. If I was fired from a job, should I put that experience on my resume?

If the reason for the dismissal is something simple to explain; for example, that your place was closed and transferred to another country, there is no problem in placing it.

On the contrary, it is recommended that if you have to give a lot of explanations or it was a job of less than six months, do not include it. If the topic comes up at the time of the interview, the suggestion is that you acknowledge the dismissal and turn it into something positive; mentioning the lessons you learned or explaining that the situation made you realize that you had certain deficiencies that you are working on.

5. Should I include references?

They must not be forgotten! It is important to have the references of a previous boss or at least a co-worker or someone who has known you in a work context. It is advisable to place only three and take advantage of the moment of the interview to mention it, as it can give us extra points.

6. If I want to make a career change, how do I reflect it on my CV?

If your work experience and your university studies belong to an area other than the job you are applying for, it is best that you take courses related to the position and include it in your resume. It is useless if you say "I'm interested in social responsibility", you need proof that there is some knowledge. Your resume should reflect that you have followed up on the subject, taking courses or attending seminars, which can be noted in the "non-formal studies" section.

If you are about to make or update your resume, I also recommend this article with tips on "How do you make a CV that opens the right doors for you?". Your CV is the first impression and doing it correctly can get you where you want.

Photo by Damian Zaleski en Unsplash. This article was originally published on the Blog: Renewed or die, from the newspaper La República. 

Subscribe to our blog